From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Student discount is valid for a university researcher?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:00:11 GMT
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
> So how does this set the paid PhD student apart from $dev that is not
> being paid by his boss to go to ApacheCon and wants to do so on his own
> time?

The student rate is being largely funded by sponsorship from Google, and
they want it targetted at students, so that's what we're doing

We've also managed to secure some funding to reduce the price for
committers, an announcement about that should be going out any day now.
Speakers will also be able to get a free ticket if their employer isn't
able to pay, we'll be notifying speakers of the details once the schedule
is posted.

> If we go down that route we consequently must give every person that is
> not being paid for going to ApacheCon the student rebate.

TAC exists to help people get to the conference who otherwise couldn't
afford to. TAC covers your registration, hotel and flights, and so can
generally ensure that money isn't an issue for people to attend. People
have now missed the chance for TAC assistance for ApacheCon Europe, but
I'd strongly encourage people to apply for ApacheCon North America if
they're in a situation where they're not working / working but in a role
that doesn't pay that much.

If you'd like us to offer the student rate to everyone, please help us
find a sponsor to cover it! :)

Nick