From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Student discount is valid for a university researcher?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:26:39 GMT
Hi Niccolò et al.

PhD students can also be financially weak especially if attending
ApacheCon (even as a presenter) does not constitute one of the major
conferences inline with your actual PhD. Before you know it such an
event can set you back the best part of £1k... this is not uncommon
from my own experiences. Additionally as ApacheCon is not an academic
conference... but which clearly does aim to attract more students into
the overall community it is unlikely student individuals will obtain
substantial funding to attend.

I firmly believe that full time PhD students should also be classed as
full time students and therefore entitled to student rates for
ApacheCon. Regardless of whether you are paid or not via a PhD funding
route funding tends only to be enough to get by on and is
significantly and wholly substantially below the average salary here
in Scotland/UK.

my 2 pennies

Lewis

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Ulrich Stärk <uli@apache.org> wrote:
> IIRC the site says "full time students". The rationale is to allow financially weak students
to come
> to the conference. IMO a paid university researcher doesn't qualify while an *unpaid*
PhD student does.

--
Lewis