From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: apachecon eu speaker subsidies
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 03:27:33 GMT
On Sep 10, 2012, at 11:04 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> We plan to subsidize each talk by offering the speaker a $250 honorarium
> Seem to recall (but could be wrong) that there can be issues with oversea speakers and
honorariums. If a speaker is paid then a business US visa may be required?

> Thanks,
> Justin

An honorarium os not normally regarded as "pay" by the tax authorities, but giving money to
overseas speakers can involve painful paperwork on their part and is therefore best avoided.
I will investigate whether we could instead offer a credit to their hotel room account without
that being regarded as income in kind. Do you think that would solve the issues?

regards
 Steve