From Ulrich Stärk <...@spielviel.de>
Subject Re: Student discount is valid for a university researcher?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:41:04 GMT
So how does this set the paid PhD student apart from $dev that is not being paid by his boss
to go
to ApacheCon and wants to do so on his own time?

If we go down that route we consequently must give every person that is not being paid for
going to
ApacheCon the student rebate. The price already is substantially lower than it used to be
in order
to attract those whose attendance fees are not being paid for.

Btw, I don't see scholarships as a paid position as these tend - as you say - to be way below
average salary.

Uli

On 19.09.2012 12:26, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:
> Hi Niccolò et al.
>
> PhD students can also be financially weak especially if attending
> ApacheCon (even as a presenter) does not constitute one of the major
> conferences inline with your actual PhD. Before you know it such an
> event can set you back the best part of £1k... this is not uncommon
> from my own experiences. Additionally as ApacheCon is not an academic
> conference... but which clearly does aim to attract more students into
> the overall community it is unlikely student individuals will obtain
> substantial funding to attend.
>
> I firmly believe that full time PhD students should also be classed as
> full time students and therefore entitled to student rates for
> ApacheCon. Regardless of whether you are paid or not via a PhD funding
> route funding tends only to be enough to get by on and is
> significantly and wholly substantially below the average salary here
> in Scotland/UK.
>
> my 2 pennies
>
> Lewis
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Ulrich Stärk <uli@apache.org> wrote:
>> IIRC the site says "full time students". The rationale is to allow financially weak
students to come
>> to the conference. IMO a paid university researcher doesn't qualify while an *unpaid*
PhD student does.

>> Not speaking on behalf of any official authority here, just my own opinion.
>>
>> Uli
>>
>> On 19.09.2012 10:39, Niccolò Becchi wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> student discount is valid for a full university researcher or a Ph.D.
>>> student.
>>> Thanks