From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: apachecon eu speaker subsidies
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 05:26:32 GMT
I don't get it. July 31st Nick asked us if he should concentrate on either paying a couple
of hundred euros towards the ticked and getting accommodation or getting the ticket for free
and having to pay for accomodation yourself. Subsequent responses all indicated a preference
towards the latter, so I'm surprised to see this going in the opposite direction.

Also, I would not be surprised if we will have to do another round of accepting talks if it
turns out that speakers to have to pay to give their own talk.

Greetings, Marcel

On Sep 11, 2012, at 4:55 AM, Steve Holden <steve@holdenweb.com> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Nóirín Plunkett wrote:

>>> +1. Honestly, I think not providing free conference tickets for all speakers
>>> is a little weak. This should not include any training sessions of course.
>>>

>> +1, I think it would be very poor show not to provide a free ticket to
>> speakers. I understand this is the PyCon model, and didn't just come
>> out of nowhere, but I don't support a conference that asks its
>> speakers to pay, and I think we need more discussion before we make an
>> executive decision that changes our long-established model this
>> drastically.
>
> A further data point, now I have had time to revisit our budget for ApacheCon NA.
>
> The current budget assumes that there will be five tracks with 24 talks each over three
days. We plan to subsidize each talk by offering the speaker a $250 honorarium and one free
night's accommodation (to a maximum of three talks).

> I just wanted to be clear that "no free tickets for speakers" does not equate to "no
support for speakers." I personally believe that declining attendance (which ASF members have
expressed some concern about) might be associated with the price, so this year's proposed
downward price movement will to some extent test that theory. If everyone feels like you I
suppose I could lose a lot of money ...