From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: apachecon eu speaker subsidies
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 03:51:28 GMT
Hi,

> An honorarium os not normally regarded as "pay" by the tax authorities,
I believe that the case but have been asked that exact question a few times by US immigration
- probably best to be avoid if possible. Depending I guess on what proportion of speakers
come form overseas.

> but giving money to overseas speakers can involve painful paperwork on their part and
is therefore best avoided.
As someone who just had to make an appointment with the US embassy to get my passport notarised
so that I can get an IRS tax number in order to get a potential payment (book royalties) I
can vouch for that. Not exactly the same situation I know but to be avoided if possible.

> I will investigate whether we could instead offer a credit to their hotel room account
without that being regarded as income in kind. Do you think that would solve the issues?
Why not just a speaker discount off the ticket price? I assume that would be easier to organise
and also help people who may not be staying in a hotel?

Justin