From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon EU Schedule Grid -- DRAFT 1 for review, and discussion
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 14:47:34 GMT
On Aug 23, 2012, at 3:08 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:

> Hi Donald,
>
> For starters this is excellent.

Agreed. Real progress here.

> Some of my comments.
>
> 1) I think regarding early comments by Nancy & Elizabeth on this list
> (and opinions passed more recently) this seems a pretty packed
> agenda... e.g. a really packed agenda. I personally don't have an
> issue with this but it means track chairs need to be very diligent
> with timing and strict with their acknowledgement of the program
> agenda.

I'd suggest moving that spare 15-minute slot to produce a half-hour break after the keynotes
and before the track sessions start. Not only does this break up the morning a little better,
it also allows for any reconfiguration of the AV and room setups. So the morning sessions
would be at

Tuesday afternoon I am unsure why the break is flagged as 2:45 to 3:15 but then the sessions
don't start again until 3:30. Again, why are there 15-minute gaps between sessions? Could
we start those sessions at 3:15, 4:00 and 4:45? That brings the finish back to a more reasonable
5:30, and perhaps we could throw some lightning talks in if that is held to be too early.

Or are the gaps there to deliberately allow for crowd movement? I've just noticed the same
phenomenon occurs throughout the schedule.

> 2) Elizabeth suggested finishing @ 5:15 and 4:40 respectively, and
> although I think this leaves us very short for packing in the number
> of presentations i does however give us plenty of scope to feed extras
> into breakout sessions, evening events, fast feather tracks, etc...
> which I notice we have very little currently allocated to.

Extras?

> 3) There seems to be a discrepancy in Tuesdays morning session where
> there is an extra (unnecessary) slot allocated between 11:45 &
> 12:00... I think this can be removed.

Suggestion above.

> 4) It looks like Wednesday is going to be the big one with a FULL day
> of activities. I think we may need to put some class A's in the coffee
> around 2ish as I can guarantee that lunch will have knocked the hairs
> of my chin by that point. :0)

Again, both Wednesday and Thursday have no morning break. Three hours is a long haul.

> 5) Generally speaking the allocation of slots to tracks seems fine.
> Obviously everyone will have their own opinion and interpretations of
> what should be what here but we can only begin to finalise once track
> chairs and yourself have finally graded presentation submissions.

It's certainly a great start.

> In summary, do we need to formally address the question of whether the
> day goes on a bit long? Would it even be possible to cut Monday and
> Tuesday's presentations (excluding Keynote(s)) to say 30 mins with a
> 5-10 min Q&A per slot? This would cut both days down by some 35-40 odd
> minutes. I would argue that people are still getting thier bang for
> buck. If this is not possible then we need to take better advantage of
> evening and breakout sessions. I'll also look forward to seeing how
> many presentations we actually end up inviting... once this is in
> concrete we can really take this forward.

By Monday do you really mean Tuesday? I agree that 45-minute sessions would make for better
shceduling flexibility.