From "Goetz, Paul" <paul.go...@sap.com>
Subject RE: Local travel advice re TAC
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 13:22:06 GMT
Hi,

today I received two quotes for a bus shuttle service to RNA Sinsheim:

>From Heilbronn to Sinsheim in the morning and back in the evening: 295 EUR for a bus with
38 seats, 315 EUR for a bus with 49 seats (prices excl. VAT = ~351 EUR / ~375 EUR incl. VAT).
>From Heidelberg to Sinsheim: 390 EUR for a bus with either 40 or 50 seats (no difference
in pricing; price excl. VAT = ~464 incl. VAT).

This is about 7,66 EUR from Heilbronn and 9,28 EUR from Heidelberg per person / per day (assuming
a large bus, completely booked).
Public transport from Heidelberg is 7,50 EUR for one ticket (15 EUR per day), or 39 EUR for
a seven-day ticket...

Best regards,
Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Goetz, Paul [mailto:paul.goetz@sap.com]
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 10:13 PM
To: apachecon-discuss@apache.org
Subject: RE: Local travel advice re TAC

just some random thoughts on the locations (I'm not a Sinsheim "local" :o)

Seems like the smaller cities around Sinsheim don't have many hotels (e.g. www.hrs.de shows
one hotel for Eppingen only).
As Nick already clarified in another mail, the event is NOT at SAP.
And, although there might be more hotels in Walldorf, these might be occupied by SAP visitors.
Anyway, it might be an option.

0.) Walldorf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walldorf): about 20km to the West, about 20 minutes
by car (Bundesstra├če+Autobahn).
Public transportation to Sinsheim is not feasible (takes about 4 hours).
Trains from Frankfurt Airport are via Heidelberg (see below) + S-Bahn + Taxi

The two "real" cities close to Sinsheim are Heilbronn and Heidelberg:

1.) Heilbronn = HN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heilbronn): about 30km to the East, about
25 minutes by car (Autobahn).
Public transportation to Sinsheim requires one change in Eppingen, takes about 50 minutes
+ about 12 minutes walk to Rhein-Neckar-Arena.
Trains from Frankfurt Airport to Heilbronn via Mannheim take about 2 hours and cost about
40 EUR.

2.) Heidelberg = HD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg): about 40km to the NorthWest,
about 35 minutes by car (Autobahn).
Public transportation to Sinsheim directly via S5 (Verkehrsverbund Rhein Neckar: http://www.vrn.de/),
takes about 50 minutes (including 12 minutes walk to Rhein-Neckar-Arena), one trip is about
8 EUR.
Trains from Frankfurt Airport to Heidelberg via Mannheim take about 1 hour and cost about
25 EUR.

Heilbronn is closer (to me it seems ok, but I have never been there). Heidelberg is 10km /
10 minutes further away (a beautiful scenic city, although that might not be that relevant
in November...).
I will try to figure out, how much a shuttle bus costs.
>From Frankfurt Airport either HN or HD or to "Messe/Arena Sinsheim" should be doable -
trains from "Messe/Arena Sinsheim" are via Mannheim, take about 2 hours and cost about 30
EUR. And there are many shuttle services available (about 60 up to 90 EUR).

Paul