From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon and AOO
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 15:18:27 GMT
On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com>wrote:

> [ooo-private please note this is cc'd apachecon-discuss which is not
> private - someone on AOO needs to work with the ACEU team, Don is
> there but I'm sure help would be appreciated]
> We finally seem to have significant movement around ApacheCon EU. It
> is therefore time to decide what AOO wants to do to support its
> committers and users.
> Firstly, if you have not yet submitted your talks please do so.

Yes, indeed, and it was a surprise to see the very short timeframe to
submit . We have our blog post out, cross posted to fora plus the large
Announce list.

Nothing can happen around AOO unless there are sessions of interest.
> It would be good to see this PPMC doing more than that though. This
> project has run its own conferences in the past, what worked in the
> past and should be repeated at ACEU?

Ross, I put all of this in the wiki, and the blog post points to that. Have
your read up on the content there?

> What did you always intend to try
> but didn't

The big thing is the fact that we are now an Apache project. I'm hopeful
that we will find synergies with other projects. Not sure how to do this
beforehand. We expect to build a core stream focused on our project, but
will appreciate linkages to others perhaps as we meetup at Sinsheim.

> Nick and some others are on a site visit in the next
> couple of days. They will have a feel for the flexibility in the
> space, what do you need?

I've asked if it's possible to sub-divide what appears to be very large
meeting rooms, to accommodate smaller groups; e.g. 30 or so folks instead
of 100.

Secondly, the SPI money is available for this project to support AOO
> conferences. Ticket prices for ACEU will be set in the near future and
> people will need to start planning their travel when tickets go on
> sale early in August. The Travel Assistance Committee is set up to
> evaluate applications for travel assistance. Someone here needs to
> take ownership of working with that committee and ensure the SPI money
> is used wisely. I imagine this will mean signing up to help evaluate
> applications. Volunteers please (it's already getting too late).

I'm happy to volunteer on this, and would appreciate it other PPMC members
will as well. This being a European event, it seems that we need some of
our Euro-based members to help out here.

> Thirdly, what about using some of the money for speaker support? I
> suggest you do this through the TAC vehicle, this needs to be
> discussed with TAC.

It's useful to prioritize TAC support for members who are selected as

What have I missed? There is not long to go so no time to lose.