From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: To extend or not...
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:02:21 GMT
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> The deadline for submissions is in a few days. We had months of fog
> and then a very short time for proposals to be submitted. This has
> made it very very difficult for track chairs to drum up support -
> people are on holiday, busy etc. To make things worse I don't think
> track chairs are able to see who has proposed and who has not. This
> makes it impossible for chairs to "gently nudge" likely candidates.
>
> I understand that traditionally people submit their talks very close
> to deadline. I also understand that we probably don't want to
> pre-announce an extension. However, I think making chairs aware of
> what to expect would be a good idea. Or even better letting chairs
> indicate whether they feel an extension will make much of a difference
> to their own tracks.
>
> When can we give chairs some visibility into their tracks? If its not
> possible to give them log-in access can we export to a spreadsheet or
> something on a periodic basis (ideally daily)
>
> When can we expect a decision on extension or not?
>
> Ross

+1 on an extension - the window was very short, lots of confusion
before CFP opened, and as you note, zero visibility into what has been
submitted, which is a bigger problem than the short window.

I also like the idea of not pre-announcing an extension, that will
help aid in 'early' submissions.

--David