From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: apachecon eu speaker subsidies
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 00:29:46 GMT
Hi,

> For speakers who are likely to need help with Travel, then their first port of call should
be TAC.
Fair enough I think. While having travel costs covered is nice it's not generally expected
unless the ticket price is high.

> Currently, we've got speakers down for discounted, but not quite free tickets.
Of the 2 dozen conferences I've spoken at only one charged speakers a small amount and that
was donated to charity. I think a free ticket for speaker would be expected. In my experience
most conferences also cover hotel (about 90%) and some travel (about 20%).

> * Keep the discount on the conference fee for all speakers, but offer to cover several
nights in one of the cheaper nearby hotels, for those speakers who aren't being covered by
their work but who also aren't eligible for TAC funding?
Having the speakers near by would help I think. If they have to stay further out and rely
on public transport (especially if they are not familiar with it) you may have a few getting
lost and not turning up in time for their talk etc etc

Thanks,
Justin