From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: apachecon eu speaker subsidies
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:49:33 GMT
On Jul 30, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

> On 7/30/12 11:26 AM, Nick Burch wrote:
>> On 27/07/12 13:04, Tim Williams wrote:
>>> What are the speaker subsidies for ApacheCon EU?  I assume the show
>>> ticket is covered.  Any hotel or travel?
>>

>> We may be able to extend that a bit further, depending on how the final costs end
up coming in at for a few things we're still waiting on. If we do have some budget spare,
what would people rather:
>> * Free tickets for all speakers?
>
> +1. Honestly, I think not providing free conference tickets for all speakers is a little
weak. This should not include any training sessions of course.

The intention is to make the conference more accessible to those who don't get any support
at all. Even OSCON doesn't give speakers a free ride (each talk attracts some travel support
and one hotel night). PyCon and DjangoCon give no speaker support at all, other than to guarantee
them the Early Bird rate.

I realize that it may be a tradition in ApacheCon, but look at attendance numbers and ask
yourself if you want to see them going down still further. We could marginalize the conference
by keeping pricing too high.

regards
 Steve