From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: apachecon eu speaker subsidies
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:26:23 GMT
On 27/07/12 13:04, Tim Williams wrote:
> What are the speaker subsidies for ApacheCon EU?  I assume the show
> ticket is covered.  Any hotel or travel?

Bad news I'm afraid, things won't be quite so generous in Sinsheim as
they were in Vancouver. (Things in Portland won't be the same as
Vancouver either, again there will be some speaker support, but not the
same)

For speakers who are likely to need help with Travel, then their first
port of call should be TAC. People accepted by TAC will get their hotel,
travel and conference fee covered, and should be covered for meals too
(at the hotel and at the venue). I would tell people to go and apply
now, but it's not ready. The latest from Gav is later today...

Within the budget, we do have some scope to help out speakers, but sadly
not enough to cover both hotel nights and a free conference pass.
Currently, we've got speakers down for discounted, but not quite free
tickets.

We may be able to extend that a bit further, depending on how the final
costs end up coming in at for a few things we're still waiting on. If we
do have some budget spare, what would people rather:
* Free tickets for all speakers?
* Keep the discount on the conference fee for all speakers, but offer to
cover several nights in one of the cheaper nearby hotels, for those
speakers who aren't being covered by their work but who also aren't
eligible for TAC funding?

Can't promise we'll be able to do either at this stage, but which do
people think is more important if we have the budget room to do one?

Nick