From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apachecon EU 2012 - Which Track for a middleware as Apache Etch?
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 15:21:29 GMT
On 23/07/2012 15:15, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> From: "Francesco Chicchiriccò" <ilgrosso@apache.org>
>> On 23/07/2012 12:43, Mark Struberg wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Don't think that ApachEE fits good for Etch. ApachEE is focusing
>>> purely on our Java EE core technologies stack.
>>> Same for Syncope, though it's much closer. Would be nice to explain
>>> the overlaps/difference between Syncope and Shiro btw ;)
>>
>> Uh, quite easy, indeed: Shiro is an Access Manager [1] while Syncope is
>> an Identity Manager [2]
>> Access Management is more about authentication, Single SignOn,
>> Federation, ...
>> Identity Management is more about user provisioning, password
>> management, ...
>>
>> These two areas can be easily confused because in almost every
>> application domain they are tightly connected; think, for example, that
>> Syncope roadmap [3] contains an integration path with Shiro.
>>
>>> Maybe we could have a 2nd track which supplements the ApachEE core
>>> track and showcases the different "Enterprise Integration"
>>> scenarios.
>>
>> This sounds reasonable to me and in the direction of the aborted
>> "Integration & Service APIs" track [4].
>>
>> Regards.
>
> Thanks for this answer,
>
> Pretty useful, we (at least I) hope to use both of them in OFBiz...
> one day...
> BTW how Syncope relates to NIST http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SNS/rbac/ ?

Hi Jacques,
thanks for your interest.

At the moment there is no direct relation with "external" Role Based
Access Control (RBAC), while Syncope is implementing such approach for
its own internal authentication and authorization model; anyway it is
something noticeable for the roadmap: why don't you start a thread on
syncope-dev@incubator.apache.org?

Regards.

>>> Maybe that would also fit to Camel and it's parts?
>>>
>>> In general: we have quite a few projects which sound like the same
>>> on the first glance, but are heavily different at the end:
>>> Syncope/Shiro
>>> Jackrabbit/Sling

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò