From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apachecon EU 2012 - Which Track for a middleware as Apache Etch?
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:06:45 GMT
On 23/07/2012 12:43, Mark Struberg wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Don't think that ApachEE fits good for Etch. ApachEE is focusing purely on our Java EE
core technologies stack.
> Same for Syncope, though it's much closer. Would be nice to explain the overlaps/difference
between Syncope and Shiro btw ;)

Uh, quite easy, indeed: Shiro is an Access Manager [1] while Syncope is
an Identity Manager [2]
Access Management is more about authentication, Single SignOn,
Federation, ...
Identity Management is more about user provisioning, password
management, ...

These two areas can be easily confused because in almost every
application domain they are tightly connected; think, for example, that
Syncope roadmap [3] contains an integration path with Shiro.

> Maybe we could have a 2nd track which supplements the ApachEE core track and showcases
the different "Enterprise Integration" scenarios.

This sounds reasonable to me and in the direction of the aborted
"Integration & Service APIs" track [4].

Regards.

> Maybe that would also fit to Camel and it's parts?
>
> In general: we have quite a few projects which sound like the same on the first glance,
but are heavily different at the end:
> Syncope/Shiro
> Jackrabbit/Sling
> Accumulo/Cassandra

> Would be interesting to better explain the differences? Not sure if this is an easy to
cover conference topic though, but I got lots of questions regarding the focus of a few projects.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_access_management
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_management
[3]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Roadmap#Roadmap-3.0.0%28Maggiore%29