From Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Flex
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 07:08:42 GMT
Der all,

Now that the Call for Papers has been announced broadly via the official Apache communication
channels and others, whereas the announcement of the EU event was communicated more informally,
we see a lot of potential presentations, talks and workshops popping up that have a hard time
to be placed in any of the listed tracks.

I agree that a renaming of tracks and a realignment of projects and papers could not only
lessen the confusion for the submitters of papers but also enhance the importance of the event
for potential visitors.

The track name proposal of Tim makes sense in that way, but only with good descriptions of
tracks and target audiences. Let me present an example.

The track Enterprise could have following descriptions and target audience:

The enterprise track is all about Enterprise ready and mature solutions from various Apache
projects. The presenters inform you about their capabilities, opportunities and pitfalls and
show you how these can support your business out-of-the-box, how they can be implemented and
more.

The target audiences of this track are not only the decision takers and influences in the
enterprise, like the IT Managers and architects, but also everybody (user, developer, etc)
else who want to gain insights in the Enterprise ready solutions of Apache.

Example of projects falling in above mentioned track could be those like James and Ofbiz.

Of course, broad descriptions of such generic tracks could also lead to new and heated discussions
about where projects and papers should go, like 'our development solution for enterprise data
storage is an enterprise ready development framework and should go in this Track, but should
also be mentioned under the tracks 'Developer tooling' and 'Data storage'.

The question we should ask ourselves now is/are:
- can (or should) we still do this renaming of tracks and realignment of projects and paper
for the EU Event with the risk of losing our audience or creating more or new confusion for
submitters, and/or,
- should we treat this as a lesson to be learned and apply it to the US event in 2013.

I don't know what is the wiser thing to do in this case, and appreciate your opinion.

Regards,

Pierre

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 24 jul. 2012 om 03:15 heeft Tim Williams <williamstw@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven: