From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: ACEU Venue Visit - Thursday 26th July
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:02:09 GMT
Nick:

Please find attached a report on a site visit for PyCon done recenty. I've updated the wiki
page, but thought you might want to see the level of detail.

Some of the hotel stuff may be unnecessary - we are working on getting you hotel information
right now.

regards
 Steve

PyCon Site Visits

- Report on Montreal Site Visit follows

City - The city is amazing! There are endless things to do and great food to try. The venue
page will be swamped with information. Most of the hotels we looked at have underground tunnels
connecting them to the convention center so if we get bad weather, most people do not have
to go out into it if they do not want to. There are many areas with plenty of food options
in walking distance from the convention center.

The Convention Center - This is a huge Convention Center. We are spread out between a few
floors, but I think we can make it work because the structure of the building is straight
forward unlike the Santa Clara Convention Center. We have to be very careful to make signage
and maps clear. Below is the break down:

On the 2nd Level we have the Exhibit Hall space. It is very large. It was intended for our
lunches, butonsite I switched (signed addendum for it) what we reserved for the expo hall
to the large space on the 2nd level. I think it would be wise to put registration outside
of this area. We also decided on having the buffet lunch in the same area as the exhibits.
The space that used to be the expo hall on the 4th floor will now be a break out room for
our conference sessions.

On the 4th Level we have the green room. On the 5th Level we have the tutorial rooms and the
sprint rooms. We also have breakouts on this level along with the plenary. On the 7th Level
we have two breakouts.

The Hotels- These hotels are all within walking distance. I walked to every single one of
them. Additionally, there are under ground tunnels that will take you from the hotels to the
Convention Center and vice versa. All of the hotels below are Free Internet for all of our
attendees.

-Hyatt Regency [169$ CDN] - The farthest away. It is a nice hotel just like the one in Santa
Clara. In my option, if they do not lower it to $149, we shouldn't get any rooms there. Not
worth the walking.

-Holiday Inn Select [163$ CDN] - The quality of the hotel is not worth the nightly rate. Maybe
if it was $90/ night then it would be considered.

-Le Dauphin - [158$ CDN] - This is perfect for our attendees. It is contemporary, clean, close,
and at a good rate. I want to take all of their rooms. Unfortunately, they only have about
100 of them.

-InterContinental [179$ CDN] - Across the street from the CC. This property is a 4 diamond
property. They are willing to work out an early bird price for us that is 179$ CDN ($176 USD)
up to 60 days prior and then 199$ CDN after that (with a two year contract). There is going
to be a one night guarantee charged and that is also the penalty for the cancellations. Beautiful
property though and great food. Corporate attendees will love it. I think getting this place
to 169$ CDN would be a great deal. I am working on this.

-The Westin [243$ CDN] - Across the street from the CC. This is a nice property. They may
lower to $179. It is a nice property, but the InterContinental is much fancier so I do not
think they should be the same price. I will see if I can lower it another $10/night.

-Le Place D'Armes [196$ CDN] - Great place, but working to get a lower price. A few rooms
at this hotel would be nice, but not huge block. (they do not have many to offer anyways)

-The Delta [149$ CDN] - This property used to be a Hyatt so it looks very similar to what
our attendees are familiar with. This property has good food. It is $149 CDN per night and
about a 5 minute walk to the Convention Center. I definitely want to get a decent room block
at this hotel. It's not super modern like the Hyatt in Montreal, but it is A LOT cheaper and
it is an average property.

On Jul 18, 2012, at 5:27 AM, Nick Burch wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I've started at a new project this week
and this leads to collisions now I wasn't expecting. I'm very sorry. Keep up the good work,
though.

> That's a shame :/
>
> Any chance you could have a think about the questions you would have asked, and the photos
you would have taken, then add them to the wiki[1]?