From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject CFP pre-req - tracks
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 00:35:07 GMT
Hi All

It looks like we've had some great proposals for tracks over the last
couple of weeks! I'm keen on most of them already :)

I think before we can launch the CFP, it makes sense to try to identify
the other tracks that the communities want to put on. In the past, we have
tried holding ApacheCon CFPs without dedicated tracks up front, and then
trying to put the best talks together into tracks. This didn't work out so
well, as some of the tracks ended up not very focused, which made
explaining them to attendees hard, and the sense of community around the
track was often lacking. With all that in mind, I think trying to identify
the proposed tracks in advance of the CFP is worth doing.

We do already have quite a few proposals on this list, but it's probably
only fair to reach out to the rest of the PMCs to solicit their proposals
too... I was planning to send an email to pmcs@ asking for ideas soon,
then we'll put those proposals into a CFP system, and hopefully open the
CFP in a few weeks.

I was thinking of suggesting we use a google docs form to capture
proposals for tracks, what do people think? That would have the benefit of
being very simple, and will allow us to populate it with all the existing
proposals easily too. (We don't want to loose the proposals we already
have in on this list!). My hunch is that the data we want would look
something like:
* Track title
* Projects covered
* 2 volunteers to help with the track (aid with selection, liase with
   speakers, help with publicity, work with the community at the event etc)
* Ideal size (eg 1x100, 2x100, 1x200 person room)
* Day(s) (eg 1x200 intro day one day, 1x100 detailed sessions another)

Anything else people think we'll want to capture about proposed tracks? Do
people think 1.5-2 weeks is enough time for clusters of projects to put a
proposal in? Is everyone keen to get the CFP open? :)

Nick