From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: CFP pre-req - tracks
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 14:34:40 GMT
On Jun 13, 2012, at 7:13 AM, jean-frederic clere wrote:

> On 06/13/2012 02:35 AM, Nick Burch wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> It looks like we've had some great proposals for tracks over the last
>> couple of weeks! I'm keen on most of them already :)
>>
>> I think before we can launch the CFP, it makes sense to try to identify
>> the other tracks that the communities want to put on. In the past, we
>> have tried holding ApacheCon CFPs without dedicated tracks up front, and
>> then trying to put the best talks together into tracks. This didn't work
>> out so well, as some of the tracks ended up not very focused, which made
>> explaining them to attendees hard, and the sense of community around the
>> track was often lacking. With all that in mind, I think trying to
>> identify the proposed tracks in advance of the CFP is worth doing.
>>
>> We do already have quite a few proposals on this list, but it's probably
>> only fair to reach out to the rest of the PMCs to solicit their
>> proposals too... I was planning to send an email to pmcs@ asking for
>> ideas soon, then we'll put those proposals into a CFP system, and
>> hopefully open the CFP in a few weeks.
>>
>> I was thinking of suggesting we use a google docs form to capture
>> proposals for tracks, what do people think? That would have the benefit
>> of being very simple, and will allow us to populate it with all the
>> existing proposals easily too. (We don't want to loose the proposals we
>> already have in on this list!). My hunch is that the data we want would
>> look something like:
>> * Track title
>> * Projects covered
>> * 2 volunteers to help with the track (aid with selection, liase with
>>   speakers, help with publicity, work with the community at the event etc)
>> * Ideal size (eg 1x100, 2x100, 1x200 person room)
>> * Day(s) (eg 1x200 intro day one day, 1x100 detailed sessions another)
>>
>> Anything else people think we'll want to capture about proposed tracks?
>> Do people think 1.5-2 weeks is enough time for clusters of projects to
>> put a proposal in? Is everyone keen to get the CFP open? :)
>
> I think we need to the tracks to open the CFP, no?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jean-Frederic

Yes. Just as people are reluctant to sign up for a conference that has not yet published a
schedule they are wary of submitting talks to a CfP that does not specify particular areas
of interest.

The room size may well be important for North America, and is an excellent idea. The volunteers
should know that they aren't supposed to be "slave labor", but the vital link  between the
conference and their communities.

Our involvement in EU hasn't been detailed yet, but we look forward to helping make volunteers'
lives easier where we can.

regards
 Steve
Next:       Open Django Central Jun 8-9:  http://opendjango.com/central/