From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon's EU 2012 and NA 2013 - save the dates and get involved!
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 05:14:07 GMT
I guess the date for Apache Con EU is now fixed and will conflict with WJAX.
That being said, what are the next steps? Personally I think if we
have such a conflict we need to publish the date as early as possible.

Cheers

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Goetz, Paul <paul.goetz@sap.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just some background on the venue constraints so far:
> We selected Rhein-Neckar-Arena Sinsheim to get the most out of the available budget.
> Sinsheim is not known for its famous nightlife (it's more like Knockree), but SAP gets
a special price for booking the venue there + we have all the technical equipment available
(and we're still trying to get some kind of beer run organized :o)
> Basic idea - at least as far as I understood - was to allow even those with a small travel
budget to participate.

> With that in mind, I would agree with Noirin, that those interested in Apache might still
get to ApacheCon EU, even if they went to W-JAX before (at least from a budget perspective,
not so sure about the time required to be out-of-office).
> And back to the nightlife: Munich surely outperforms Sinsheim in this regards (maybe
this is why everybody goes to Berlin Buzzwords and spends the budget there :o)
> Therefore, from my perspective, it seems better to have the ACEU date not clashing with
W-JAX - if possible (even without knowing the detailed numbers).

> Anyway, getting numbers about the expected audience (EU/US/...) seems to be difficult.
> @Nick: Are there any numbers from the past?
>
> Although I'm not keen on asking our SAP venue staff at all (as they most probably will
kill me for that), I could give it a try and ask on Monday. If it turns out, that we can't
change the contract, we won't have a choice anyway...
> But: In order to do that, I need a decision - either move to the new date (20-22 November)
or keep the original (6-8 November). And if possible by Monday next week...
> I assume that the longer we need, the fewer the probability that 20-22 November is still
available.

> What can I do to get a quick vote or quick poll on "In case we're able to change the
date: Who prefers to move planned ACEU 2012 from 6-8 to 20-22 (November)"?

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de