From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Things we need to do for ApacheCon EU
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 14:21:55 GMT
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Nick Burch <nick.burch@alfresco.com> wrote:
> Hi All
> I did send an email a few weeks ago about the next steps, but as a few
> people have contacted me privately to ask about what needs doing, I fear it
> may have got lost in the noise... Plus it didn't have everything, so here
> goes again!
> There are currently several things that anyone can (and needs to be!)
> helping with, and a few bits largely specific to those near the venue.
> On the everyone front, we need to decide exactly what kind of conference we
> want to fill this lovely SAP sponsored space with. Do we want big tracks
> (200/300 people), or small ones (5*100), or some days with one setup and
> some days others? What sort of tracks do we want to put on? Do we want to do
> a day or two for certain popular project areas, or do we want to do one
> track for the whole time for a popular area, with smaller ones around it?
> What things (if any) do we want to put on in the evening? What things might
> we want to try in Portland next year, which we should be attempting to
> test/pilot in Europe?

Besides the already proposed OpenOffice track, we should consider the
Hadoop operating system ;-)
Hadoop is big in germany. If we would have two bigger tracks, one open
office hacking, one hadoop + cloud,.
Then two smaller, probably an enterprise track with Camel et al and
for example a Tooling track.

> (Once we have answers for these, then we'll have the structure around which
> to run the CFP)
> For those in Germany, we need to start putting together some resources for
> attendees, especially around accommodation. I know there isn't much near the
> venue, but it'd be good to get / find a list of what that is. We also want
> to provide information on what bigger towns/cities nearby people could be
> looking at for staying it, and how long (+ how late!) they'd be looking at
> for public transport. We may also want to look at hiring something nearby
> that's cheap for people to stay in (especially TAC funded attendees,
> committers who are paying for themselves etc). It'd be good to know what
> options there might be (hostels, church halls etc). For now, I'd suggest we
> start capturing this sort of information on the wiki[1], and we can worry
> about if that's the best place or not later!
> Cheers
> Nick
> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon/

View raw message