From Mohammad Nour El-Din <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon's EU 2012 and NA 2013 - save the dates and get involved!
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 16:45:03 GMT
Hi Noirin

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Nóirín Plunkett <noirin@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Nick Burch <nick.burch@alfresco.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not an American, and I don't live there, so the thanksgiving thing
> > doesn't affect me personally. However, my hope is that we can try out
> some
> > new ideas and formats in Europe, and the North America conference can
> learn
> > from that. (The event in Europe will be smaller and cheaper, so we should
> > have more chance to experiment and innovate) If we clash with
> thanksgiving
> > then we'll loose the bulk of our American attendees, which likely means
> we
> > loose both those with experiences of organising past ApacheCons, and we
> > loose much of the chance for the organisers of the next one to learn from
> > us.
> >
> > I completely agree that clashing with JAX isn't great, and will cause us
> > miss out on some German speaking attendees, which is a huge shame. (Am I
> > right in thinking that it's all in German, so we won't loose any other
> > European language groups?) It's very hard to judge the two, but my
> feeling
> > was that loosing all the Americans (especially the ACNA13 team) would be
> > worse. I could be wrong though (it does happen!), so if you think we've
> > weighed the two up wrong please explain why!
> I think the weighting is all wrong here. We're running ApacheCon EU in
> Germany. German speaking attendees and contributors will be a huge
> part of our market, and a huge part of the fresh ideas we so
> desperately need.
> I don't think we were ever going to get a huge number of US folk to
> ACEU. Thanksgiving probably means we'll get almost none, but I think
> we're going from "a couple of dozen" to "almost none".
> Scheduling against W-JAX, which is smaller than JAX but still
> substantial, feels to me like we'll lose a similar percentage of the
> German-speaking audience, but it's a *significantly* bigger group to
> start with.

Good point here, but the question is how can you make sure that whoever
already attended W-JAX will also attend ApacheCon against how many of the
German speaking people who will be so keen to attend ApacheCon EU ?

Yes the we *might* loose some percentage of German speaking people who will
attend W-JAX but what is the probability of them also attending ApacheCon
EU ?

> The Apache Way is to work on mailing lists. The team for this event
> should be able to get most of the benefit of past organisers without
> needing them physically present. And the team for the next event
> should be able to learn from the ACEU team in the same way.
> Noirin

- Mohammad Nour
- Albert Einstein