From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Things we need to do for ApacheCon EU
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 23:03:59 GMT
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com>wrote:

> +1000 for an AOO track. Note that, assuming we work out a few details AOO
> will have budget to assist with speakers and TAC for AOO related
> activities.

Thanks Ross.

Yes, we expect to work through some 'paperwork' and have in hand some
funding for TAC and other minor bits.

> Furthermore there are people in the community eager to help with
> organisation, all they need is someone to lead the activity (from behind),
> Don is your man for that and I'm happy to help too (I won't be taking a
> leadership role, but happy to help Don keep it moving).

I'm planning on combing through my files where  I collected the programmes
from OpenOffice.org Conferences Past; i.e. Koper, Barcelona, Orvieto,
Budapest. My idea is not to necessarily replicate the past into the future
here, but more as a reference for what worked, and what was less than hoped
for.

>From my recollection these conference programmes featured keynotes from IT
leaders courageous enough to tackle the challenge of desktop
migrations/co-existence strategies, use cases from education, research
papers on accessibility topics and a spectrum of developer oriented
sessions on the respective components of OpenOffice including
programmability.  So I'd say it was 60% developer focused, 40% IT; i.e.
what does it take to successfully manage a large end user population
adopting an open source office productivity application suite.

I'll start a separate thread on my ideas for a dedicated track over on our
ooo-dev list so that we don't overly annoy folks on apachecon-discuss here.
We can work it in the PMC at AOO and return here in a week or so with a
more refined proposal.

Make sense?