From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Things we need to do for ApacheCon EU
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 14:03:42 GMT
Nick,

Thanks for jolting this topic to the top. We certainly can benefit by
having a more clear plan by the end of June, before many people will go off
on their summer holidays.

So here goes:

I propose that the the Apache OpenOffice project be one of the large
projects that can easily fill (1) day worth of sessions, plus generate
activity in side sesssions; e.g. hacking, etc. Germany is the epicenter for
OpenOffice skills since the original team began work in Hamburg over 15
 years ago. I'm confident we can build an exciting one-day program that
will have good participation.

OpenOffice.org conferences in the past were entirely volunteer driven with
corporate sponsorships from the likes of Sun, IBM, Novell, Google, etc.
Volunteer teams competed for the honor to host the conference(s). CFPs were
issued, and selected, etc.

We could use the past OpenOffice.org conference structure as a  template
for modification to harmonize with the larger conference themes that will
emerge in this discussion. It would be great to group projects like
Chemistry, POI, PDFbox, Tika, ODF Toolkit along the other available time
slots since all of these project combined provide value propositions that
relate to documents, content management.  This might emerge as one of the
conference themes. Thoughts?

I am happy to volunteer to lead the 'conference within a conference' idea,
or whatever the ConComm team finalizes as the model for ACE in Sinsheim.
There are Apache OpenOffice guys in Hamburg and other places in Germany,
Switzerland and Austria. who could help on a local level.

HTH,

/don