From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Things we need to do for ApacheCon EU
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 13:23:22 GMT
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Nick Burch <nick.burch@alfresco.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I did send an email a few weeks ago about the next steps, but as a few
> people have contacted me privately to ask about what needs doing, I fear it
> may have got lost in the noise... Plus it didn't have everything, so here
> goes again!
>
> There are currently several things that anyone can (and needs to be!)
> helping with, and a few bits largely specific to those near the venue.
>
> On the everyone front, we need to decide exactly what kind of conference we
> want to fill this lovely SAP sponsored space with. Do we want big tracks
> (200/300 people), or small ones (5*100), or some days with one setup and
> some days others? What sort of tracks do we want to put on? Do we want to do
> a day or two for certain popular project areas, or do we want to do one
> track for the whole time for a popular area, with smaller ones around it?
> What things (if any) do we want to put on in the evening? What things might
> we want to try in Portland next year, which we should be attempting to
> test/pilot in Europe?

I'll bite with some ideas:

Disclaimer up front, I haven't been to an ApacheCon before - though I
have been to scores of other OSS conferences and developer events.

So I think with as diverse a group as ApacheCon attracts and with the
comparatively limited time available that one or two big tracks are
not nearly as valuable to everyone as a number of smaller ones.

I'd also be interested in seeing Ignite sessions [1] early on - and
perhaps a day of BarCamp/(unconference) sessions following that. Or
perhaps that is something that we do in the evenings. I'd also like to
see if we can secure hacking spaces at night for folks to work on
things (particularly nice with $beverage and food availability).

--David

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignite_(event)