From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Things we need to do for ApacheCon EU
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 21:40:49 GMT
In addition to the items below I think there is a need to define what this
conference is. Is it a developer conference, a user conference, a hacker
etc.

How many people are we trying to attract, what profile etc.

There's not much time, we don't yet have any real clarity about what the
event is.  Without a vision for the event it is hard to think about
concrete plans.

In the past we've always had problems trying to be all things to all
people. This is one not the problems within organising the conference by
committee, it simply gets watered down to the lowest common denominator.

The ASF brand is strong enough for a lowest common denominator event to be
successful, however we can do better.

In my view, in order to do better job we need someone to make a few firm
statements and provide some solid guidance about what tracks should look
like and what they should contain. This programme chair should hold the
power of veto over any abstracts that look poor and be willing to work with
track chairs on fine tuning their tracks.

Is this something we want to do for ApacheCon EU? If so who will provide
this driving force?

Ross