From Nóirín Plunkett <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheCon's EU 2012 and NA 2013 - save the dates and get involved!
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 16:29:15 GMT
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Nick Burch <nick.burch@alfresco.com> wrote:

> I'm not an American, and I don't live there, so the thanksgiving thing
> doesn't affect me personally. However, my hope is that we can try out some
> new ideas and formats in Europe, and the North America conference can learn
> from that. (The event in Europe will be smaller and cheaper, so we should
> have more chance to experiment and innovate) If we clash with thanksgiving
> then we'll loose the bulk of our American attendees, which likely means we
> loose both those with experiences of organising past ApacheCons, and we
> loose much of the chance for the organisers of the next one to learn from
> us.
>
> I completely agree that clashing with JAX isn't great, and will cause us to
> miss out on some German speaking attendees, which is a huge shame. (Am I
> right in thinking that it's all in German, so we won't loose any other
> European language groups?) It's very hard to judge the two, but my feeling
> was that loosing all the Americans (especially the ACNA13 team) would be
> worse. I could be wrong though (it does happen!), so if you think we've
> weighed the two up wrong please explain why!

I think the weighting is all wrong here. We're running ApacheCon EU in
Germany. German speaking attendees and contributors will be a huge
part of our market, and a huge part of the fresh ideas we so
desperately need.

I don't think we were ever going to get a huge number of US folk to
ACEU. Thanksgiving probably means we'll get almost none, but I think
we're going from "a couple of dozen" to "almost none".

Scheduling against W-JAX, which is smaller than JAX but still
substantial, feels to me like we'll lose a similar percentage of the
German-speaking audience, but it's a *significantly* bigger group to
start with.

The Apache Way is to work on mailing lists. The team for this event
should be able to get most of the benefit of past organisers without
needing them physically present. And the team for the next event
should be able to learn from the ACEU team in the same way.

Noirin