From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Things we need to do for ApacheCon EU
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 14:50:06 GMT
On May 30, 2012, at 14:05 , Nick Burch wrote:

> On the everyone front, we need to decide exactly what kind of conference we want to fill
this lovely SAP sponsored space with. Do we want big tracks (200/300 people), or small ones
(5*100), or some days with one setup and some days others? What sort of tracks do we want
to put on? Do we want to do a day or two for certain popular project areas, or do we want
to do one track for the whole time for a popular area, with smaller ones around it? What things
(if any) do we want to put on in the evening? What things might we want to try in Portland
next year, which we should be attempting to test/pilot in Europe?

I am in favor of having more smaller tracks, and I'd like to be as diverse as we can, instead
of just focussing on a few more popular projects and leaving the rest of them out. Learning
about the all the different projects Apache has to offer to me is one of the primary reasons
for going to ApacheCon. Also because it encourages people involved in those projects to meet,
exchange ideas and work together. The bigger projects have their own, more targeted conferences
anyway, so I would not want to give them preferential treatment over the any other projects
for ApacheCon.

For the talks, I would even propose to consider doing 30 minute instead of 50-60 minute talks.
If structured well, a 30 minute talk can deliver a lot of information already. Downside might
be that we need more budget this way (because we end up with more speakers) so that might
not be practical!?

Greetings, Marcel