From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: Things we need to do for ApacheCon EU
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 14:56:06 GMT
On May 30, 2012, at 10:50 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:

> On May 30, 2012, at 14:05 , Nick Burch wrote:
>
>> On the everyone front, we need to decide exactly what kind of conference we want
to fill this lovely SAP sponsored space with. Do we want big tracks (200/300 people), or small
ones (5*100), or some days with one setup and some days others? What sort of tracks do we
want to put on? Do we want to do a day or two for certain popular project areas, or do we
want to do one track for the whole time for a popular area, with smaller ones around it? What
things (if any) do we want to put on in the evening? What things might we want to try in Portland
next year, which we should be attempting to test/pilot in Europe?

> I am in favor of having more smaller tracks, and I'd like to be as diverse as we can,
instead of just focussing on a few more popular projects and leaving the rest of them out.
Learning about the all the different projects Apache has to offer to me is one of the primary
reasons for going to ApacheCon. Also because it encourages people involved in those projects
to meet, exchange ideas and work together. The bigger projects have their own, more targeted
conferences anyway, so I would not want to give them preferential treatment over the any other
projects for ApacheCon.

I'd like to see the diversity of the Apache community properly reflected in the Foundation's
conferences, so this is good input.

> For the talks, I would even propose to consider doing 30 minute instead of 50-60 minute
talks. If structured well, a 30 minute talk can deliver a lot of information already. Downside
might be that we need more budget this way (because we end up with more speakers) so that
might not be practical!?

This implies that there is a significant cost to adding speakers. I'd be interested to know
what you would expect these costs to be ...

> Greetings, Marcel

regards
 Steve
Next:       Open Django Central Jun 8-9:  http://opendjango.com/central/