From "Goetz, Paul" <paul.go...@sap.com>
Subject RE: ApacheCon's EU 2012 and NA 2013 - save the dates and get involved!
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 17:55:32 GMT
Hi,

just some background on the venue constraints so far:
We selected Rhein-Neckar-Arena Sinsheim to get the most out of the available budget.
Sinsheim is not known for its famous nightlife (it's more like Knockree), but SAP gets a special
price for booking the venue there + we have all the technical equipment available (and we're
still trying to get some kind of beer run organized :o)
Basic idea - at least as far as I understood - was to allow even those with a small travel
budget to participate.

With that in mind, I would agree with Noirin, that those interested in Apache might still
get to ApacheCon EU, even if they went to W-JAX before (at least from a budget perspective,
not so sure about the time required to be out-of-office).
And back to the nightlife: Munich surely outperforms Sinsheim in this regards (maybe this
is why everybody goes to Berlin Buzzwords and spends the budget there :o)
Therefore, from my perspective, it seems better to have the ACEU date not clashing with W-JAX
- if possible (even without knowing the detailed numbers).

Anyway, getting numbers about the expected audience (EU/US/...) seems to be difficult.
@Nick: Are there any numbers from the past?

Although I'm not keen on asking our SAP venue staff at all (as they most probably will kill
me for that), I could give it a try and ask on Monday. If it turns out, that we can't change
the contract, we won't have a choice anyway...
But: In order to do that, I need a decision - either move to the new date (20-22 November)
or keep the original (6-8 November). And if possible by Monday next week...
I assume that the longer we need, the fewer the probability that 20-22 November is still available.

What can I do to get a quick vote or quick poll on "In case we're able to change the date:
Who prefers to move planned ACEU 2012 from 6-8 to 20-22 (November)"?

Best regards,
Paul