From Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>
Subject Re: Possible Dates for ApacheCon North America
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 05:38:35 GMT
On May 10, 2012, at 7:34 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

> On 5/10/12 5:15 PM, Troy Howard wrote:
>> Hmm.. Considering the 2 day padding around the main conference,
>> perhaps Mon/Tue unconf, Wed/Thu/Fri conf, Sat/Sun sprints? Sprints
>> could be partially decentralized (and still be successful) if people
>> had to leave town on say Saturday or Sunday to make it back in time
>> for a Monday work day.
>>

> I agree with that, personally I prefer a schedule that fits in on Mon-Fri, avoiding the
weekends as much as possible.

> -- leif

Just a quick update, and to thank everyone for their thoughts. It was really helpful to know
what mattered and what didn't. Since we are new to the Apache community I don't want it to
seem that we are insensitive to community needs.

We decided to avoid President's day and we are currently awaiting confirmation from the venue
that February 26, 27 and 28 remain available. If they are then we intend to sign a contract
with the hotel for those dates as soon as the agreement between the ASF and The Open Bastion
is in place.

This means the "core" conference will run Tuesday through Thursday. We anticipate that there
will be two days of leadership/governance/unconference activity preceding the conference and
two days of sprints following it. Those who like to spend their weekends at home should still
be able to participate in at least one day of each.

I'll let you know more when I do, but I believe that a formal announcement fro the Foundation
is expected about the middle of June.

As far as activities going /into/ the two days preceding the conference proper we are very
open to hearing what people would like to be able to do. Also, if you have ideas for bringing
new groups to the conference (smaller projects, for example, and potential new committers)
we'll certainly reach out to them and try and make them feel welcome.

regards
 Steve
Next:       Open Django Central Jun 8-9:  http://opendjango.com/central/