From Danese Cooper <dan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possible community ApacheCon Europe event
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 17:59:44 GMT
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 7:22 AM, Nick Burch <nick.burch@alfresco.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> As mentioned, SAP have kindly agreed to sponsor the use of their internal
> conference facilities to allow us to host an ApacheCon there. This should
> allow us to run a more community style of event. Because we wouldn't be
> based at an expensive hotel, and because SAP would be covering the facility
> costs, we should be able to run something with a lower headline conference
> fee, and a lower attendence cost.

Are you saying they are offering their accomodations?  Last time I went to
Walldorf, we all had to stay in Heidelburg which was really cool (ancient
University town that it is)...but it meant finding transport out to SAP
every day...

> There are some smaller things and some bigger things we need to consider.
>
> First up, when would we want to hold the event? Largely influencing this:
> What's the soonest we could be ready? (We will be constrained by when the
> SAP conference venue we prefer is available)

There's a nice symmetry in "every 6 months somewhere in the world"...so I'd
vote for May 2012...although if our answer for providing options at the
cheap end of accomodations is "universities will be between sessions and
there will be cheap dorm rooms available" then we'll need to coordinate with
that calendar.

> Related to this, which of the two SAP sites would we prefer? Hopefully Paul
> Gotez can let everyone know the details of the two possible sites. (Paul is
> an Apache committer who works at SAP and who's been doing amazing work
> getting the SAP approval)

Yay Paul!  My big questions would be...

1. Which site is closest to a major airport and train station?
2. Which one has the best range of accomodation (very low-cost to high-end)
3. Will we need to arrange transport between lodgings and facility?
4. Will we be able to arrange a) fat guest wifi b) beer onsite?

> Moving onto the bigger part, what sort of conference do we want to put on
> in the space? Monday-Friday? Wednesday-Sunday?
> Monady-Sunday/Saturday-Friday? How much should be conference sessions, how
> much hackathons, how much meetups, how much barcamp / ad-hoc sessions? How
> many people will we expect to come for all, and how many for just one day?
> Ratio of talks aimed at users, developers, and those interested in open
> source business/community/the apache way?

Long weekends are good, but they may cost SAP extra cycles (since they have
to bring staff in to handle extra days of security, etc.).  I think whether
this is a consideration is another question for Paul.

> Feeding into this, I know quite a few people go to other community open
> source events, and a smaller number help organise them. What works well?
> What doesn't work? Who should we be learning from and emulating?

Please look at PyCon.  Also?  I've been thinking a lot about the
pre-conference infrastructure behind UDS (Ubuntu Developer Summit) and its
efficacy at transforming their conferences into work sessions via pre-work
momentum focused online in the weeks before the event.

> We also need to think about speakers, and generally about how to help get
> enough members / committers / nearly-committers along to share knowledge and
> teach the apache way. At the big hotel events, speakers have tended to get a
> conference pass, hotel nights, and some flight help if needed. People
> sharing knowledge in other ways just get cheaper conference passes, but
> still need to pay lots for hotel rooms. With an event like this, the
> conference fee should be much lower, and with no hotel attached people can
> stay nearby wherever their budget permits. How much help do we need to offer
> for speakers? And can that work with a lower registration fee, and hence
> lower total budget?

IMHO you'll need to at least give speakers free accomodations (as was done
with TransferSummit).  You may have to help keynotes with airfare.