From Alasdair Nottingham <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Possible community ApacheCon Europe event
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 22:17:40 GMT
On 20 September 2011 15:22, Nick Burch <nick.burch@alfresco.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> As mentioned, SAP have kindly agreed to sponsor the use of their internal
> conference facilities to allow us to host an ApacheCon there. This should
> allow us to run a more community style of event. Because we wouldn't be
> based at an expensive hotel, and because SAP would be covering the facility
> costs, we should be able to run something with a lower headline conference
> fee, and a lower attendence cost.
>
> There are some smaller things and some bigger things we need to consider.

> First up, when would we want to hold the event? Largely influencing this:
> What's the soonest we could be ready? (We will be constrained by when the
> SAP conference venue we prefer is available)
>
> Related to this, which of the two SAP sites would we prefer? Hopefully Paul
> Gotez can let everyone know the details of the two possible sites. (Paul is
> an Apache committer who works at SAP and who's been doing amazing work
> getting the SAP approval)

I may have missed this, but where are these two SAP sites?

> Moving onto the bigger part, what sort of conference do we want to put on
> in the space? Monday-Friday? Wednesday-Sunday?
> Monady-Sunday/Saturday-Friday? How much should be conference sessions, how
> much hackathons, how much meetups, how much barcamp / ad-hoc sessions? How
> many people will we expect to come for all, and how many for just one day?
> Ratio of talks aimed at users, developers, and those interested in open
> source business/community/the apache way?

When we had the retreat in knockee I know a few of my colleagues were unable
to make it because it was a weekend. It doesn't bother me too much, but I
would suggest something Monday-Friday (or a subset of days) would be better.

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org