From Alasdair Nottingham <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How public is public?
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 22:27:54 GMT
On 23 May 2011 17:10, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@apache.org> wrote:
> On 5/23/2011 10:59 AM, Nick Burch wrote:
>>
>>> Should we similarly open a public "Camp'ing" discussion list?
>>
>> I'm worried that we don't want to fragment things too much
>
> How many things do we do to plan/program/organize/partner?
>
>  * Big ApacheCon (all PMC's 'invited', open to the public)
>
>  * Small 1-x project focused events (partners in programming, usually)
>   including community-wide meetups (open to the public)
>
>  * ASF 'presence' at non-Apache events (usually a handful of people)
>
>  * Retreats, including dev meets/hackathons (for 'contributors')
>
>  * Apache BarCamp (public, often co-located, sometimes stand-alone)
>
> The third should be handled on the committee-internal list; only some
> of the events we are invited to would agree with public discussion of
> 'their event'.  It could be treated in the same category as the second
> item, if a specific "foo Project Track" or "ASF Track" was agreed upon.
>
> The other four each seem like they deserve their own perpetual
> discussion list open to all contributors (eg; public).  If the total
> volume of a specific list is expected to explode (planning ApacheCon
> Europe 2012, for example) then a sub-list could temporarily exist.

Hi,

It seems reasonable that the 3rd item would be discussed on the normal
concom mailing list. I would also suggest that the 2nd category
probably should be handled on the mailing lists for the projects
involved on a more ad-hoc basis.

That would leave ApacheCon/Retreats/BarCamps and it seems reasonable
to me to leave them on this list. I don't think it will be too hard to
separate the different mail threads out to work out what to ignore and
what to read. If at some point it does become difficult then we could
look at splitting the lists then.  Although I feel it only fair to
report that my recollection of the discussions at the retreat was that
this list would focus on an ApacheCon Europe discussion for the time
being. That said since that didn't happen on a mailing list it didn't
happen.

Alasdair

--
Alasdair Nottingham