From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How public is public?
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 16:10:52 GMT
On 5/23/2011 10:59 AM, Nick Burch wrote:

>> Should we similarly open a public "Camp'ing" discussion list?
>
> I'm worried that we don't want to fragment things too much

How many things do we do to plan/program/organize/partner?

 * Big ApacheCon (all PMC's 'invited', open to the public)

 * Small 1-x project focused events (partners in programming, usually)
   including community-wide meetups (open to the public)

 * ASF 'presence' at non-Apache events (usually a handful of people)

 * Retreats, including dev meets/hackathons (for 'contributors')

 * Apache BarCamp (public, often co-located, sometimes stand-alone)

The third should be handled on the committee-internal list; only some
of the events we are invited to would agree with public discussion of
'their event'.  It could be treated in the same category as the second
item, if a specific "foo Project Track" or "ASF Track" was agreed upon.

The other four each seem like they deserve their own perpetual
discussion list open to all contributors (eg; public).  If the total
volume of a specific list is expected to explode (planning ApacheCon
Europe 2012, for example) then a sub-list could temporarily exist.