www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From T.Liu <t....@telia.com>
Subject mod_cgi/10223: GGI files fail to load correctly
Date Sat, 16 Mar 2002 23:12:50 GMT

>Number:         10223
>Category:       mod_cgi
>Synopsis:       GGI files fail to load correctly
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have written a simplest CGI with C++ on Windows 2000 as folllows
#include <iostream>
using std::cout; using std::endl;
void main ()
{
	cout << "Content-type:text/html" << endl << endl;
	cout << "<html><body>" << endl;
	cout << "Hello,  dear friends" << endl;
	cout << "</body></html>" << endl;
}

The excutable is renamed to hello.cgi and placed in "F:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\cgi-bin",
and loaded from the following html file when clicking the "here" field

Click <a href="hello.cgi">here</a> to call a cgi program directly

As response, the browser (Internet Explorere 5.0) says "The page you are looking for is currently
unavailable". Looking at error.log file, it states that Apacher webserver cannot find the
file on "F:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\htdocs" directory. After copying hello.cgi into
this directory, the browser does find it. But instead of dislaying the HTML contents generated
from the CGI, it popups a dialog box and tries to download the CGI file with the text "Your
have chosen to download the file Path..//hello.cgi". My questions are
1. Why Apache webserver looks at "htdocs" directory, although the http.cfg file
   indicated that is SHOULD be "cgi_bin" by the follwing line?
   ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "F:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/cgi-bin/
2. Why Apache tries to download the CGI file instead of loading the scripts it
   generates?

Do I need to change anything more on httpd.cfg file other than ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ to make
Apache load the CGI files correctly? Consultaing Apaches online Bug Database, I replaced cgui
    <Directory "F:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/cgi-bin">
        #AllowOverride None
        #Options ExecCGI
        #Order allow,deny
        #Allow from all
        AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl
        AllowOverride Options
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews ExecCGI
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

This however doesn't make any difference. Please help me to make cgi running.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
No, but I would appreaciate it greatly if you could add a item in your FAQ to clearly explain
how cgi scripts of C/Perl can be made working on Windows (and Linux as weel) step by step.
What configurations have to be changed and checked exactly. The above extremely simple script
has toiled me two days, and it may happen to other Apacher users as well.