www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From James Chamberlain <jam...@plaidhat.com>
Subject Re: general/10180: Weird entries in access_log
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:10:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/10180; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: James Chamberlain <jamesc@plaidhat.com>
To: slive@apache.org
Cc: apache-bugdb@apache.org, <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: general/10180: Weird entries in access_log
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:59:08 -0500 (EST)

 On 14 Mar 2002 slive@apache.org wrote:

 > [In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, you need]
 > [to include <apbugs@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]
 > [subject line starts with the report component and number, with ]
 > [or without any 'Re:' prefixes (such as "general/1098:" or      ]
 > ["Re: general/1098:").  If the subject doesn't match this       ]
 > [pattern, your message will be misfiled and ignored.  The       ]
 > ["apbugs" address is not added to the Cc line of messages from  ]
 > [the database automatically because of the potential for mail   ]
 > [loops.  If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 > [nored unless you are responding to an explicit request from a  ]
 > [developer.  Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!     ]
 >

 > Synopsis: Weird entries in access_log
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
 > State-Changed-By: slive
 > State-Changed-When: Thu Mar 14 11:21:08 PST 2002
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >
 > This is somebody trying to abuse your webserver as a proxy.
 > Since they are getting your home page back, it is not working.
 > To be extra-safe, you should confirm that you don't have
 > "ProxyRequests On" in httpd.conf.
 >
 > In the future, questions like this should be addressed to
 > a user support forum such as the ones listed in the FAQ.
 >
 > Thanks for using Apache.

 Thank you for your quick response.  I had submitted this to the problem
 report db to confirm that this behavior did not indicate a bug in Apache.
 After all, would it not be more proper to return a 4xx rather than a 200
 and the default page in DocumentRoot in response to a request for a site
 not hosted by the server?