www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From yongjian xu <i3dmas...@hotmail.com>
Subject config/10077: httpd server never starts automatically as it was before!
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 04:17:55 GMT

>Number:         10077
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       httpd server never starts automatically as it was before!
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
2 weeks ago,the Apache http still worked ok. But in the last week, the system was crashed
with unknown reason and rebooted. However, httpd server has not been started automatically
again since then. So I added the command '/usr/sbin/httpd -f /etc/httpd/httpd.conf -D MODULES
-D PERL -D DAV -D PHP' into 'etc/inittab' file and rebooted the system again. But the server
still could not work properly. Later, I found it was not the way to start the httpd server
at boot time, so I commented that command and typed '/etc/rc.d/apache start' to start it manually.
But it showed this:

turk-xu:/etc/httpd # /etc/rc.d/apache start
Starting service httpd/etc/rc.d/apache: line 138:  2364 Segmentation fault      /usr/sbin/httpd
-t -f /etc/httpd/httpd.conf $MODULES >/dev/null 2>&1
: syntax error in httpd.conf                                          failed

Then I did this:

turk-xu:/etc/httpd # /usr/sbin/httpd -t
Syntax OK

It really confused me. I did the check and it gave me no error but when I wanted to start
the server, it showed up the syntex error. Why?
I have never maken any changes on 'etc/rc.d/apache' and '/etc/httpd/httpd.conf'files before.
If I can not start it like this way how to start the http server automatically with standalone
servertype.
>How-To-Repeat:
Give the reason why this could happen and the way how to fix it or
give me a another way to start the httpd server automatically.
>Fix:
Sorry, I have no idea.