www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Stones Richard <Rick.Sto...@gehis.co.uk>
Subject RE: config/9711: httpd.conf-dist has lost the #AddType applicatio n/x-httpd-php .php line
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:19:19 GMT

Thank you for your reply.

Whilst I agree it's dangerous to have 'default' configurations that people
can uncomment without carefully considering what they are doing, the other
extreem
has serious downsides as well.

A logical end point of the argument "we shouldn't provide suggested
configurations,
even commented out" is not to provide a sample httpd.conf file at all, and
tell people
to read the manual. This is hardly going to endear Apache to most users I
fear.
Much as I dislike much M$ S/W, one thing they do have right is that
generally
you can install the S/W and get useful work done very easily immediatly.

I think you should re-consider removing 'helpful hint' commented out lines,
it's not user friendly to be forced to double check the manual every time
you build Apache and want to turn PHP back on.

Good luck with Apache, great S/W :)

Rick

DISCLAIMER

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended
for the recipient only.

If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by reply
e-mail and then delete it from your system. Please do not copy it or
use it for any other purposes, or disclose the content of the e-mail
to any other person or store or copy the information in any medium.

The views contained in this e-mail are those of the author and not
necessarily those of GEHE Group companies.