www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Martijn de Vries <mart...@shop.com>
Subject mod_negotiation/9996: DefaultLanguage when unknown language is requested
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 23:37:05 GMT

>Number:         9996
>Category:       mod_negotiation
>Synopsis:       DefaultLanguage when unknown language is requested
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
When a client requests documents in a language that has not been specified in Apache using
AddLanguage (e.g. en-us is not specified by default), currently a
document with an unknown language extension is returned.

We have an index.html for several languages including index.html.tr (turkish). By default
Apache does not have AddLanguage statements for 'en-us' and 'tr'. Now if a client connects
and asks for an index.html in 'en-us' (or any other unknown language), Apache looks at the
index.html.* and returns the first (?) index.html.XX it can find where XX is an unknown language
(e.g. tr).

It would be much nicer if the DefaultLanguage statement would take effect also if the language
requested is unknown. Currently it only works when no specific language is requested by the
client.

We had the situation where every client requesting documents in an unknown language (e.g.
en-us) would receive the index.html.tr file. By default the .tr extension has the application/troff
mime-type associated with it. As one can imagine this caused a lot of problems.