www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From L.C. <apache-b...@wotevah.infostreet.com>
Subject mod_proxy/9995: outgoing proxy requests are intercepted by mod_ssl when SSLEngine On.
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:49:17 GMT

>Number:         9995
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       outgoing proxy requests are intercepted by mod_ssl when SSLEngine On.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious

VirtualHost with a "ProxyPass / http://OTHER_SERVER/"

With SSL disabled (plain HTTP VirtualHost) it works as expected.
With SSLEngine On on that VirtualHost the client is left waiting and
I get a second connection message in the ssl_error_log that looks
like this:

Connection to child 0 established (server SERVER_NAME:443, client CLIENT_IP)
Seeding PRNG with 512 bytes of entropy
Connection: Client IP: CLIENT_IP, Protocol: TLSv1, Cipher: RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)
Connection to child 0 established (server SERVER_NAME:443, client OTHER_SERVER)
Seeding PRNG with 512 bytes of entropy
SSL error on writing data (OpenSSL library error follows)
OpenSSL: error:140D0114:SSL routines:SSL_write:uninitialized
failed to write 26 of 26 bytes (reason unknown)

It seems like mod_ssl takes over the outgoing connection that mod_proxy
makes and tries to speak SSL to OTHER_SERVER. Same thing happens with
a regular forward proxy setting (ProxyRequests On).

This could be a mod_ssl problem or a design bug but I am not sure.
>How-To-Repeat:
./configure --enable-mods-shared=all --enable-deflate --enable-ssl --enable-proxy --enable-proxy-http

<VirtualHost _default_:443>

  SSLEngine On
  # ... SSL config inherited from global settings ...

  ProxyPass / http://www.infostreet.com/

</VirtualHost>