www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Aaron Namba <na...@cs.hmc.edu>
Subject build/9854: make install
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 07:39:48 GMT

>Number:         9854
>Category:       build
>Synopsis:       make install
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>     -@if [ -d $(TOP)/htdocs/manual ]; then \
I am not exactly sure what caused the problem, but during the 'make install', in the section
of code below, both $root and $manualdir became null, so a lot of files were installed to
// (i.e., /). Also, the installer began chmod'ing EVERYTHING on the system to 755, which was
extremely undesirable.

             echo "Copying tree $(TOP)/htdocs/manual -> $(root)/$(manualdir)/"; \
             (cd $(TOP)/htdocs/manual/ && $(TAR) $(TAROPT) - *) |\
             (cd $(root)$(manualdir)/ && $(TAR) -xf -); \
             find $(root)$(manualdir)/ -type d -exec chmod a+rx {} \; ; \
             find $(root)$(manualdir)/ -type f -print | xargs chmod a+r ; \
     fi
>How-To-Repeat:
I do not know how to repeat the problem, since the second install (performed very cautiously
after doing a make -n) went fine.
>Fix:
I would STRONGLY suggest checking for the condition where $root and $manualdir are both ""
and aborting the install, since the user is NEVER going to want all their directories and
files chmod'ed to 755. I don't know how it even happened, but it did, and the resulting mess
was extremely difficult to clean up.