www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Michael Paesold <mpaes...@gmx.at>
Subject mod_rewrite/9850: Download problems with Internet Explorer and mod_rewrite
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 00:28:09 GMT

>Number:         9850
>Category:       mod_rewrite
>Synopsis:       Download problems with Internet Explorer and mod_rewrite
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
$ uname -a
Linux web01.[snip] 2.2.16-22smp #1 SMP Tue Aug 22 16:39:21 EDT 2000 i686 unknown

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.0)

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness)
setup:
Internet Explorer (5.0 - 6.0 tested)
apache webserver (1.3.20 and 1.3.23 tested)
apache with mod_rewrite

When downloading a file (e.g. a zip file, NOT html, jpeg etc.) from apache webserver WITH
Internet Explorer BY entering the url MANUALLY, we get this:
IE doesn't download the file, but waits for some seconds displaying
("recieving file information...") and than aborts with: "filename.zip could
not be downloaded from www.ourdomain.com. The page could not be opened....
blablah".

apache-error-log:
(32)Broken pipe: client stopped connection before send mmap completed

This problem does not exist with standard apache setup (tested), it does only exist with SOME
mod_rewrite setup! (tested) With standard setup it downloads the files within a moment.

This is the part of our rewrite rules, that cause the problems:

  RewriteMap    lowercase    int:tolower
  RewriteMap    vhost        txt:/web/conf/map_masshost

  RewriteCond   ${lowercase:%{HTTP_HOST}}  ^(.+)$
  RewriteCond   ${vhost:%1}  ^/(.*)$
  RewriteRule   ^(.*)$  -  [E=MASS_ROOT:/web/WebSites/d/%1,E=LogCtrl:Y,S=1]
  RewriteRule   ^(.*)$  /web/exec-bin/jump  [L,T=application/x-httpd-cgi]
  RewriteRule   ^/(.*)$  %{ENV:MASS_ROOT}/$1  [L]

We use the above to get the document root. It works all fine, even with the
actual problem, there is no evidence in the logs of mod_rewrite
(RewriteLogLevel 9), that something goes wrong. The log is fine as usual. I strongly believe,
that it has got something to do either with the map lookup or with the environment variables.
The problem does not occur with rewrite rules that don't include the above (has been tested).

Hoping for help, Michael Paesold
>How-To-Repeat:
This is an example URL, where it doesn't work.
http://www2.netring.cc/whitedownload.zip
This is an URL on a Webserver with a similar setup, but with a normal host container:
http://www.paesold.at/whitedownload.zip

Repeatable by adding using the above rewrite rules (adjust for your paths, /web/exec-bin/jump
should be redirected to some error page, this only occurs if we don't find the domain in the
map file, map_masshost is a textfile with "domainname.com /part/of/path/to/docroot" lines)