www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jim McCullars <...@info.uah.edu>
Subject build/9792: Problem determing which expat library to use
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:12:18 GMT

>Number:         9792
>Category:       build
>Synopsis:       Problem determing which expat library to use
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
There seems to be a problem with the src/Helpers/TestCompile routine that
determines whether to use system or builtin Expat library.  This also
happens with 1.3.22.

When I run src/Configure (with no changes to src/Configuration), it defaults
to "using system Expat", then when I do a make, it blows off the first time
it tries to find libexpat.so.0 (because that file is not in /usr/lib).  The
TestCompile routine is possibly finding it in /usr/local/lib, but then the
real build does not find it there so it errors.  If I try to get around the
problem by adding /usr/local/lib to EXTRA_LIBS, the Configure script then
defaults to "using builtin Expat" and at the end displays this error:

======== Error Output for sanity check ========
cd ..; gcc  -DSOLARIS2=251 -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED      -o
 helpers/dummy helpers/dummy.c  /usr/local/lib -lsocket -lnsl
ld: elf error: file /usr/local/lib: unknown type, unable to process using elf(3E
) libraries
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to helpers/dummy
make: *** [dummy] Error 1