www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Walter Gonzalez <wa...@playstation.sony.com>
Subject build/9729: Better support for debugging , do not use EXTRA_CFLAGS internally
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:28:24 GMT

>Number:         9729
>Category:       build
>Synopsis:       Better support for debugging , do not use EXTRA_CFLAGS internally
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Your debugging guide (http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html)
suggests adding the -g flag with EXTRA_CFLAGS .

However at the toplevel dir (ie: apache_1.3.23) doing the command:

% make EXTRA_CFLAGS=" -g"

Causes the build under src/main to not use apaci and possibly use the
wrong HTTPD_ROOT path. This is because src/main/Makefile has the line:

EXTRA_CFLAGS =`$(SRCDIR)/apaci`

Hence (properly) adding a debug flag is not quite as simple as the
debugging doc suggests.

>How-To-Repeat:

cd apache_1.3.23
./configure --prefix=/usr/foobar
make EXTRA_CFLAGS=" -g"
./src/httpd -V

<observe how the prefix didn't make it into the linked server binary>
>Fix:

The documentation should probably be either updated to say:

"Add the -g flag to EXTRA_CFLAGS in  apache_1.3.23/src/Configuration *before*
running apache_1.3.23/configure , to ensure all Makefiles are generated properly. "

And/Or do *not* use EXTRA_CFLAGS internally and instead set apaci in another internal makefile
variable. Reserving the EXTRA_* variable defines for user customization.

I would really suggest doing both, because there will be users like me that
may assume it's safe to redefine the EXTRA_*  variables on the fly.

[And... Thankyou for all your efforts!]