www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Federighi@apache.org, Marco <m.federi...@ee.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject general/9414: access to server denied to laptop PC connected from different locations
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:41:30 GMT

>Number:         9414
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       access to server denied to laptop PC connected from different locations
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
A laptop computer has been set up to connect from a LAN connection in the same LAN as the
Apache web server, and to connect from other locations via ordinary dial-up (AOL) and ADSL.
The laptop can access the web site from the LAN, but not from any other location we have tried.
This can be a serious problem for business people who use laptops as desktop substitutes in
two different offices.

The web site is http://www.engineering.ucl.ac.uk/
>How-To-Repeat:
You can try to repeat it bu using a laptop in the same manner. However, not ALLlaptops do
it: th problem seems to be with some machines, not others.
>Fix:
I think the problem may be that the server is identify the laptop, when it tries to connect
from outside the LAN, as the same laptop that connects successfully via the LAN and that this
is for some reason enough to deny access. I have no idea how to fix it; I think this is the
reason.