www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David Welton <dav...@apache.org>
Subject config/9364: ./configure does not get along with ash as /bin/sh
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 12:18:12 GMT

>Number:         9364
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       ./configure does not get along with ash as /bin/sh
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Running ./configure with ash as /bin/sh doesn't work - it doesn't finish creating the configure
scripts.  It gives a warning about the SEO variable, amongst other things. I figured that,
as portable as Apache is, it had to be a problem with ash, so I filed a bug report against
it in Debian, and received this response:

> #!/bin/sh
>
> bytes=`echo $SEO '\1' | wc -c | awk '{ printf("%s", $1); }'`
> if [ "x$bytes" != "x3" ]; then
>     bytes=`echo -E '\1' | wc -c | awk '{ printf("%s", $1); }'`
>     if [ "x$bytes" != "x3" ]; then
>         echo " + Warning: Your 'echo' command is slightly broken."
>         echo " + It interprets escape sequences per default. We
> 	already"
>         echo " + tried 'echo -E' but had no real success. If errors
> 	occur"
>         echo " + please set the SEO variable in 'configure' manually
> 	to"
>         echo " + the required 'echo' options, i.e. those which force
> 	your"
>         echo " + 'echo' to not interpret escape sequences per
> 	default."
>     else
>         SEO='-E'
>     fi
> fi

This script is not POSIX-compliant.  Please refer to the standard at
www.opengroup.org.
>How-To-Repeat:
Use the script above with ash as /bin/sh
>Fix:
Apparently the configure script has some problems.  It used to work ok.