www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Aaron Chipper <aa...@cpc.net.au>
Subject mod_proxy/9353: proxy redirect URL are not properly created
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 06:42:57 GMT

>Number:         9353
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       proxy redirect URL are not properly created
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
output of uname -a
  Linux ser3.cpc.net.au 2.4.2-2 #1 Sun Apr 8 20:41:30 EDT 2001 i686 unknown
output of gcc -v
  Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
  gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-81)

Ok,
I've had a look through the bug DB and I don't think this is there, so here goes.

I have configured Apache using the following command:

I have compiled it (make) and installed it (make install).
Everthing works fine expect for the proxy forwarding.

I have the following proxy directives:
---------8<---------8<---------8<---------8<---------
    ProxyRequests On

    ProxyPass /affiliates   http://affiliates.remote-system.com/
    ProxyPass /             http://madness.remote-system.com/

    ProxyPassReverse /affiliates   http://affiliates.remote-system.com/
    ProxyPassReverse /             http://madness.remote-system.com/
---------8<---------8<---------8<---------8<---------
I have also turned the Apache error logging up to 'debug'.

When I goto http://www.my-system.com/, mod_proxy tries to retrieve:
http://affiliates.remote-system.com//

When I goto http://www.my-system.com/affiliates, mod_proxy tries to retrieve:
http://affiliates.remote-system.com/s

Hmmmm.
When I change to my local /affiliates to /fred, mod_proxy tries to retrieve:
http://affiliates.remote-system.com/d

I see a pattern emerging.

Basically the last character of my local directory is attached to the end of the remote URL.

This kind of renders mod_proxy unusable (that's why I chose a 'critical' classification).

I'm happy to send copies of my error_log and access_log if requested.
>How-To-Repeat:
Try it out I guess, I think it would happen on most platforms.

I did try to compile on Tru64 4.0f, but had quite a few difficulties compiling, and have not
yet been able to build a working version.  I'll let you know if I work it out. (Note: I have
never had a problem with building 1.3.x)
>Fix:
Because I needed to get this running today, I haven't been able to have a real look at the
code to find the source of the problem. Also, I'm not overly familiar with Apache's code.
I did code an embarrassingly horrific fix into proxy_http.c which overwrites the requested
URL (it strips out the character after third '/' - crappy, I know). I can send that to you
if you want, as long as you promise not to send out a lynch mob :-).