www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Mike Burns <bu...@cac.psu.edu>
Subject config/9223: Can't force configure process to use builtin Expat library
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:15:39 GMT

>Number:         9223
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Can't force configure process to use builtin Expat library
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
SunOS 5.8, SunOS 5.6
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)
cc: Sun WorkShop 6 2000/04/07 C 5.1

Configure found libexpat.so installed in a system directory(/usr/local/lib).
make fails as I don't have LD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_RUN_PATH set.

gcc -c  -I../os/unix -I../include   -DSOLARIS2=260 -DNO_DL_NEEDED `../apaci` gen_test_char.c
gcc  -DSOLARIS2=260 -DNO_DL_NEEDED `../apaci`   -o gen_test_char gen_test_char.o  -lsocket
-lnsl -lexpat
./gen_test_char >test_char.h
ld.so.1: ./gen_test_char: fatal: libexpat.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory
*** Error code 137

See also Apache bug report 8593 and
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@httpd.apache.org/msg02375.html
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I'm sure for the developers changing src/Configure to allow the user to
select to the builtin Expat library is easy, but the question after
examing the URL above is why, so I'll tell you why I would like it.

The other modules I'm compiling in apache do not use Expat, so even
though I have it in /usr/local/lib, I don't want to have any dependencies
on /usr/local/lib in apache.  Utility programs like gcc and perl are
in /usr/local, so I want /usr/local/bin in my command path, but don't
necessarily want or need libraries located in /usr/local.  When
/usr/local is in a shared file system (DFS, AFS, NFS, pick your favorite
letter) and if there is a problem getting to the shared file system
then your web server might also be rendered useless if it has a dependency
on a library located in it.

That's why I hacked src/Configure to use
the builtin Expat library rather than the system one and why I would like
to see a configure option for selecting the builtin Expat even when a
system one exists.