www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Steve Sobel <sso...@home.com>
Subject general/9181: apache serves up files instead of 404 error when a directory name is requested that matches a file with a supported module extension
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:13:45 GMT

>Number:         9181
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       apache serves up files instead of 404 error when a directory name is requested
that matches a file with a supported module extension
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Apache serves up a webpage instead of a 404 error when the directory in which the nonexistent
file is being requested matches the filename of a module-supported file extension.  For example:

If PHP is installed, or, in the case I found the bug, RACE (but PHP experiences the same problem,
which is how I determined it to probably be an Apache bug):

If, in the root directory of the website, there is a file called somepage.php, then the URL

http://www.someserver.com/somepage/thisfiledoesntexist

Serves up somepage.ace instead of giving a 404 error.  As a result, the browser views somepage.ace,
but improperly since the path the browser is viewing is different from the actual path of
the file.  Either way, however, the file should not be served up at all - a 404 error should
be given.
http://dev.riverwatcher.com/nematologists/index.ace -- proper.
http://dev.riverwatcher.com/nematologists/index/nonexistentfile -- improper.
http://dev.riverwatcher.com/nematologists/blahblah.htm -- htm file exists
http://dev.riverwatcher.com/nematologists/blahblah/nonexistentfile -- bug doesn't occur.
>Fix:
Apache probably shouldn't serve these pages up... :-)